Tuesday, March 30, 2010

a full Monty

So it's the first Tightarse Tuesday of this year's Comedy Festival, and I had to work a bit late anyway... I was heading down Little Collins St to catch a tram home, when the chalkboard outside the Victoria Hotel caught my eye. In all my life, I had never before been inside the Victoria, so, noting that there were a couple of performances starting there in only half an hour, I decided to stop, buy a ticket, and check out the grand old hotel at the same time.

The first thing I discovered was - watch out for those sliding glass doors! They just don't go where you expect them. Each time I entered or left the building, I found myself standing in front of a pane of glass while the door slid across to one side of me!

By the time I climbed the elegant, if a little shabby, staircase at the rear of the lobby, towards the ticket office, I had decided that I would get a ticket for "The Full Monty", featuring Monty Franklin from nearby St Kilda - almost a neighbour, really.

For the second time in a row, I was the first customer in the room, and as I took a seat, I could sense maybe around 9 or 10 other people around me. Not again!

Starting time came and went, and a few minutes later, a small 'crowd' of latecomers entered, enough to half-fill the room! This actually made it, on a percentage basis, the biggest crowd of the three shows that I've attended so far! After they had been seated, the show began.

I knew nothing of Monty before the performance, but a lot more after it.

He has appeared on tv in commercials and in bit parts in several shows, including the unsuccessful pilot of a comedy show, of which he screened several excerpts (which were amusing, but enough to explain why the show hadn't been picked up by the network!) He performed an entertaining and generally inoffensive stand-up routine, prompting a few big laughs from me and the rest of the audience, and leaving me happy to have caught his act.

The Victoria itself was sensational - according to clippings posted in the foyer, it was built in the mid-1930s - and it shows a touch of art deco about its interior, but it clearly hasn't had any serious structural upgrades in the intervening years. Entering the lobby felt like walking into a 1930s movie (except for those sliding doors!) I'll be looking for another show back there again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment