Sunday, December 20, 2009

christmas mail

I love lots of things about Christmas. But there are some things that I don't love about Christmas, and as the Christmas season approaches its climax, now is the time to get them off my chest.

Writing Christmas cards. I detest writing Christmas cards. In fact, I don't like doing any sort of writing with a pen and paper any more, but of all written things, Christmas cards are the worst. Even worse than birthday cards, because birthdays are generally spread out across the year, and don't need to be written all at once.

Last year, I decided to take the bull by the horns, and do the cards early. Late November 2008, I bought a couple of boxes of cards, a couple of dozen of those kitsch Christmas stamps, and sat down for two or three evenings to write (yes, it takes me that long to think of different ways to say 'Merry Christmas and Happy New Year' on a card).

First week of December, I posted out 32 cards. And not a minute too soon, as I received my first one back in that very day's post, from someone even more organised than I was (or perhaps, someone who hated writing cards as much as I do!)

But... by last mail on Christmas Eve, a quick census of my mantelpiece confirmed my growing suspicion throughout that month - exactly one half of the people that I had carefully and dutifully crafted Christmas cards for had returned the favour! 16 cards, plus another 2 from people I'd left off my original list (another thing I hate about Christmas mail - unexpected last-minute Christmas cards, when it's too late to send a reply and pretend that you hadn't always planned to do so!)

Somewhere along the line, half of the people that I had carded had decided that Christmas cards were 'out' in 2008, and they didn't bother to even reply when they received one.

For a time, I was outraged and insulted.

Then I thought it over. And it made sense. These cards cost time and money and effort. They sit on the mantelpiece for a week or two, then they get thrown into the recycle bin. All that effort for just that.

Clearly, sending Christmas cards was just too 19th century. It was time I got with it.

So in 2009, I wrote no Christmas cards in advance. This year, I sat back and waited to see what the mailman would bring, if I didn't initiate the transaction. And to no surprise, the mail delivery fell off even further than last year. With four delivery days left until C Day (at most, depending on union action), I have received only 5 cards, all of which I have dutifully replied to.

So that's my official Christmas card policy from now on. No more bulk card writing and posting, just polite replies to those who still have an interest in sending and receiving cards. Much less stressful. It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas already.

No comments:

Post a Comment