Monday, August 2, 2010

me and an off-putting cinema visit

I made time on Saturday to run down to the George again to see 'Me and Orson Welles', a movie based on Welles' preparations to debut his play 'Caesar' at the Mercury Theatre on Broadway in 1937.

As a period piece, it was nicely done, with an authentic sounding (well, to my ears, anyway; it was long before my time!) script and great attention to detail in the visuals.

There were strong performances by the lovely Clare Danes, Christian McKay (as Welles), and even Zac Efron, and several nice supporting performances (including the guy who played the dad in tv's 'Beautiful People'!).

The story was well-written, with a good twist at the end... but one element distracted me throughout the show, and kept taking me 'out of the moment', and I don't know whether or not it was intentional, but the whole movie was presented in sort of washed-out colours; at times, it almost looked as though it was sepia. It was really annoying, but I don't know if it was intentional on the part of the movie producers, as a way of trying to capture the look of the period (in which case, they failed miserably and detracted enormously from the look of the film), or whether I was just watching a very poor print of the movie. At any rate, I'll probably try to catch it again on dvd down the track, even if only to verify that colour issue.

To make matters worse, for the second time in consecutive visits, the heating was broken down in cinema #1, and given that it was a rather chilly day, I ended up almost shivering in my seat by the time the credits rolled (again - just like at 'Inception')... another unwanted distraction whilst trying to enjoy a movie.

As David might say, "I can only give this movie 3 stars"... but maybe if I see it again on blu ray, in the warmth of my living room and with reasonable colour saturation, I might like it a bit more!

No comments:

Post a Comment