Thursday, July 2, 2009

liquid desire

Wednesday night was cold and windy, and night fell early... a perfect time to get along to 'Art after Dark' at the NGV to visit this year's Winter Masterpieces exhibition: Liquid Desire, featuring the art of Salvador Dali!

This was one of the best Masterpieces exhibitions I've seen! Dali was a genius, but I hadn't been aware of the breadth of his creativity until I saw this exhibition. Not just fabulously outlandish and stylish paintings, but drawings, fashion, jewellery, television, cinema and photography all feature strongly. I especially loved his Soft Self-portrait and Persistence of Memory, and also Atomic Dali, an amazing black-and-white photo of the artist in mid-air with cats and water!, plus a screening of his Walt Disney co-production, Destino.

There was too much to take in, in a single visit, so I hope to get back again and immerse myself in more of Dali's genius in another month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment