Wednesday, July 29, 2009

whom the gods would destroy...

"...they first make mad."

My head's full of cool old sayings that I picked up over the years and have NO idea of who said them. But when I think of them, I often marvel at how true they are and think how wise the people who first thought of them were.

I walked past Lonsdale House today, to take a last look, and a photo, in case it's not there the next time I go back. It's not the greatest example of deco left around Melbourne, but it's real and it's valuable, and it's about to be wiped out in order to widen a laneway to service even more new shops.

The owners have allowed it become dilapidated... the ground floor shopfronts are empty and blacked out, and ugly grafitti fills some of the windows... no doubt, to underscore their claim that the building is old and worthless.

The State Planning Minister has become a puppet of greedy developers. Nobody who takes that role seriously could have approved this destruction to happen. It's sad. And it looks like the Windsor will be the next piece of heritage architecture that he abandons. What a loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment