Monday, August 3, 2009

strange visitors

A few months ago, I ventured out onto my balcony one sunny morning to water my pot plants, and as I admired my potted palm... noticed that someone had mysteriously cropped it all over! Even more mysteriously, the chopped-off fronds were packed neatly into an empty pot in the corner of the balcony. I was sorry to see the palm looking so miserable, and curious about what sort of weird-ass bird would do that to my plant, but thought no more about it.

Weeks passed; the palm started to re-grow, and then I noticed that my fern had been similarly severely cut back one day! This time, I checked the empty pot straight away, and found the cut fern leaves... and the culprits, curled up in the pot on top of them! Not birds, but two little ring-tail possums had decided to make a home in the pot on my balcony.

I checked my new lodgers every day. Most days, they were both curled up in the pot; some days, one of them would stay over somewhere else, but the next day, they'd both be back. Then, this past Saturday, I checked the pot and it was empty, for the first time in the past 6 weeks or so. I guessed they had both decided to stay out for the day, but when I checked on Sunday morning... no-one home again! It seemed as tho my lodgers had moved on and found a new home (I hoped!).

But when I got home from work today, they were both back... looking a little shabby and damp, I reckon, but safe and sound.

I'm sure they won't stay for much longer, as the balcony is going to get too much sun and heat in the Spring and Summer, but it's nice to see them around in the meantime. I'll miss them when they move out.

No comments:

Post a Comment