Tuesday, August 25, 2009

winter misery

It's exactly three weeks today since I came down with... something... something virusy, I guess.

I remember it clearly; it was around 8am on the 4th Aug, and I was at work, when I suddenly started to feel dizzy and see spots before my eyes. That lasted for almost an hour. I was about to go home, when the spots cleared up. Then the sneezing started.

Over the next day or so, that was joined by headaches and temperature. It seemed like just another cold. After a week, I was getting a bit run down. I developed a very painful ulcer on my tongue, then an annoying cold sore on my lip (a sure sign of run downedness!)

As they cleared up, the sinus congestion continued into week 2, and a heavy cough developed. I spent all day Sunday 16 Aug in bed, trying to recover, but I could scarcely sleep due to incessant nasal congestion and coughing.

I thought I'd best start thinking about getting to the doctor, but it's so hard to find time, and after all, these things can't last much longer than 2 weeks... can they??

Each night, I'd go to bed sure that I'd be fine the next day, and each day, I'd cough and hack and lie awake at night and feel no better in the morning. My chest ached from the strain of all the coughing, my sinus was sore and swollen from the sneezing, and as the day wore on yesterday, my mouth felt like it had caught fire. My gums had become inflamed. It's not painful like toothache, but it's like my gums and all of my teeth are suffering an irritation... and it's maddening.

When my alarm clock went off today, I could barely lift my head to look at it. I slapped it off, and turned over and tried to doze a bit, but it was too late... having stirred, I could feel the scratchiness in my throat and needed to cough, while the phlegm was ready to pour from both my throat and my nose, and needed to be cleaned away.

I called the doctor just after 9, secured an appointment for 4:15, then went back to bed for the rest of the day until it was time to go see him and be saved!

No comments:

Post a Comment