Saturday, August 8, 2009

ugly but funny

I was reluctant to see The Ugly Truth, after hearing a few mixed reviews. But I'd been staying home and nursing a cold for a week, and was keen to get out for an excursion to the movies. There was nothing much else on at the Classic that I wanted to see last Friday night, so I decided to brace myself for the worst and go along. I was pleasantly surprised.

The film starts a little slowly, but sort of sneaks up on you, and becomes quite funny and involving as the (well, ok, predictable) storyline progresses.

The cast is pretty good, the script occasionally funny, occasionally crass, but generally entertaining, but the real highlight, which had me crying with laughter, is a gem of a scene at a business dinner in an expensive restaurant where Katherine Heigl puts on a hysterical performance when a kid finds the remote control to a garment that she shouldn't be wearing, and activates it - you have to see it to get it, but it had me choking with laughter.

I'll see this film again when the dvd is released, for that scene alone! 3 and 1/2 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment