Sunday, July 4, 2010

get him to the George

The movie drought goes on.

I think I've only seen one movie at the cinema per month since April; there's plenty showing, but nothing that appeals enough to get me to go out in this cold weather.

A recent exception was 'Get Him to the Greek', a follow-up of sorts to 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall', elevating two of that movie's supporting cast to star billing... and doing it well! Russell Brand, best known for his dubious 'humourous' stunts on English radio, I gather, does a great job of reprising his character of dodgy rock star Aldous Snow, ably supported by the ubiquitous Jonah Hill, co-star of many recent comedy movies, including Sarah Marshall.

It wasn't howlingly funny, but the story moved along at a reasonable pace, and both Brand's and Hill's characters were sufficiently sympathetic to keep interest up. There were some really funny moments, including Hill's efforts to score drugs for his difficult client, and a wonderful brawl scene in a hotel. I was glad I made the effort to get down to the George to see this one. 3&1/2 stars for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment