Monday, July 26, 2010

misconception

I don't usually like movies longer than about 110 minutes, tops; I don't especially like action-thriller movies; I hate movies with lots of shooting; and I really don't have a lotta love for Leo DiCaprio's movies, so there was really not much point in me going to see the latest blockbuster movie release, 'Inception'.

However, I was intrigued by the way both David and Margaret raved about 'Inception' last week, so since last Saturday was so persistently cold and grey and miserable all day, I decided that I could do worse than lock myself inside a cinema for the afternoon. The George just happened to be running a session at a suitable time, so I went.

Two and three-quarter hours later, I was glad that I had! Never have I watched such a long film that seemed to finish so quickly. The story grabs you by the throat from the very beginning and drags you along so unrelentingly that you don't notice how much time has passed, by the time it ends - just like a dream, really!

The cast is excellent; it was delightful to see the gorgeous Marion Cotillard in such a high-profile movie; Ellen Page and Joseph Gordon-Levitt have become favourites of mine, and at last, Leo DiCaprio looks old enough to be believable in his role, and he performs terrifically (the last time I saw him, in the technically-excellent 'Revolutionary Road', the poor man looked like a 15yo trying to play a grown-up, which was totally distracting).

I completely bought into the story's 'dream raiders-of-the-lost-secrets' premise, and thought the multi-level play was excellent; I was kept on my toes throughout the film, keeping up with plot developments and the rules of the game, and never felt like the story was contrived or cheating the viewer. This was really excellent entertainment, and I have to agree with the plaudits given by the professional reviewers... a four-star movie for my money.

No comments:

Post a Comment