Sunday, July 4, 2010

holy masterpiece, Batwoman!

Not many movies that appeal lately, and ditto for graphic novels. One that I can recommend, though, was released last week by DC.

The stories in 'Batwoman : Elegy', though well-written (by acclaimed author Greg Rucka), aren't really my style (I think I'm a bit over the whole Batman / dark avenger / lots of graphic violence style stories these days), but the artwork alone, by J.H. Williams III, makes this volume worth buying.

Though the 'tough crime' stories don't appeal to me, I enjoyed Rucka's characterisation of Batwoman / Kate Kane and her supporting cast, and was glad to note that the gay angle of the series wasn't sensationalised or sermonised, but incorporated matter-of-factly into the storylines.

DC has released this collection, originally published in Detective Comics last year, in its oversize Deluxe hardcover format, which really allows the art to shine. It's a huge treat to watch Williams take the graphic novel art form to a while new level. This book is well worth checking out, and I hope the forthcoming Batwoman ongoing series looks as good as this volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment