Thursday, January 7, 2010

0 of 7

So picking up the thread from earlier... I tried installing Windows 7 the evening that I got it home. I inserted the install disk; it played; it installed a stack of temp files, and it then provided me with a list of existing applications on my desktop pc that it didn't like. It told me that I either had to disable or uninstall them, in order for the upgrade to proceed.

I exited the install. I disabled iTunes, I uninstalled an old photo editing application, I didn't have Norton's 2007 installed, so I couldn't remove it, and I switched off my anti-virus app.

I restarted the Win 7 install. It installed a stack of temp files, and it again provided me with the list of applications on my desktop pc that it didn't like. It told me that I either had to disable or uninstall them, in order for the upgrade to proceed.

Only trouble was, I had complied with all of its demands, except for removing the non-existent Norton's, and it didn't recognise the changes.

So I did it all again. And this time, for good measure, I rebooted the pc.

Then I ran the Win 7 upgrade install again. And I got the same result...

All this had taken me about 45 minutes so far, and I hadn't even begun to get the upgrade done.

I decided that I would have to try harder to remove Norton's. I scanned the harddisk, I searched the harddisk. I scoured the web. I found two separate programs that were designed to remove Nortons (even though I was quite sure that I had never installed it on this machine!) I downloaded and ran both of them. Still Win 7 insisted that Norton's was there.

By this time, it was getting late, and my patience was as exhausted as I was, so removed the disk and went to bed.

Next evening, I started again, and confirmed the same situation.

In desperation, I decided to search the registry for any signs of rogue Norton's files. Again no luck.

At the end of evening 2, I tapped the mat and decided that I would just by-pass this step and proceed to install anyway.

I loaded the disk again on evening 3, and proceed to the same result.

This time, I decided to just click 'ok' and keep going. How naive can you get?? Of course, Microsoft doesn't give up that easily! Unless I could convince it that the problems it was detecting were not real, it would not let me proceed; no way no how!

At the end of evening 3, I finally realised that I would be unable to upgrade my Vista to Win 7. My only option would be to do it as a new install, thus losing all of my existing settings, data etc from my pc. Thanks, heaps, Microsoft! There goes my Christmas Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment