Tuesday, January 26, 2010

nine at the nova

It was a quiet day at the office on Oz Day eve, so I knocked off a bit early and strolled up Russell St in the late afternoon sunshine to Lygon St and the Nova cinema.

I'd forgotten that Monday was cheap ticket day at the Nova, so in a 'good news/bad news' thing, I bought a ticket to see 'Nine' for only $8 (compared to $17 had I opted to go to the Hoyts in the city!), but found that I was sharing a fairly packed theatre by the time that the movie started.

I'm not sure how to rate this film. It had some brilliant moments, but seemed to lack something. The stellar cast was spectacular! Who would have imagined a movie with such a multinational cast of brilliant performers: Sophia Loren, Judi Dench, Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman, Marion Cotillard, Kate Hudson and leading man Daniel Day-Lewis.

The music sequences were also spectacular, and it was a treat to see the performers in action. One of the problems with the movie, though was that it was overly-blessed with big production numbers. By the end, I almost had 'belt out overload'. I guess each of the stars wanted to make a mark with their main number, but the result was like the songs were competing with each other, rather than complementary.

At any rate, it was a enjoyable film, so I guess I'd give it a 3.5 star rating, and look forward to seeing it on blu ray again some time in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment