Tuesday, January 26, 2010

it's got the jack!

I'm sorry, but I cannot bring myself to respect a national flag that's blemished by the flag of a foreign nation.

Every year about this time, the same backwards-looking redneck bogans look up from their barbies and navel-gazing and scream about how their ancestors fought and died under the current flag.

Our forebears also massacred the indigenous people of this country and stole their land, but we don't do that any more. They also mostly saw themselves as British subjects, rather than Australian - but we don't think that way any more (or do they???)

It's long past time for a change to that ugly, demeaning flag, to demonstrate to the rest of the world that we're a modern nation, no longer tied to our colonial past.

Myself, I don't think the flag needs major changes. I'd settle for the existing Southern Cross on blue, with the Jack excised from the corner. I'd also love the Eureka Southern Cross flag. And I wouldn't be averse to some variation of the Aboriginal flag (although I'm really partial to the Southern Cross and blue-and-white colours).

Whatever, I just wish we had our own flag; one that I could respect as a true reflection of my country, and not one that makes us look like subjects of a foreign nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment