Sunday, March 14, 2010

one perfect day

I love Melbourne most of the time, but for a week or so every year, it's even better then usual. That week usually falls in early to mid-March, when we get a period of perfect Autumn weather that makes everything in the city more wonderful than ever. It's happening now; started yesterday, Saturday 13th, and by the looks of the forecast, will last through next Friday 19th, at least.

I got up on Saturday with no particular plans, but just had to get out of the flat to enjoy the day. I caught the #220 bus and headed towards the city... but where to get off? I wanted to do something outdoors. I thought about South Wharf, but I knew I'd only end up indoors at DFO, and I had no reason to go there. I thought about the CBD, but that would invariably mean a stroll through the department stores and lanes, out of the sun. I could have stopped at Prahran Market, but I wanted to do more than just get the groceries. South Melbourne market? nah. St Kilda? Still too crowded on the weekends. By this time, the bus was heading down St Kilda Road, and I still had no particular destination in mind. As the bus zoomed past the Domain interchange, someone pulled the cord to get out. Done! I got out too. But where was I going?

Across St Kilda Road, the Shrine of Remembrance loomed in the bright sunshine. It had been years since I last visited the Shrine, so maybe this would be a good starting point. I crossed the road and climbed the hill. That should have been enough exercise for the day! Surprisingly, there were very few people at the Shrine, so I got to take some nice photos without the usual crowd of tourists in the picture.

I then decided to head for the Botanic Gardens to grab a coffee and stroll across and pick up a no. 8 tram in Domain Rd, but a few surprises awaited!

At the entrance, bright tents were set up. I had stumbled across the monthly Botanic Gardens craft market! I never even knew it existed, but what a perfect day for it! I strolled around the stalls, picked up a coffee, and took in the sights - all dominated by the Shrine in the background.

Completing the tour of the market, I headed past the Visitor Centre, only to find it completely and indefinitely closed down as a result of storm damage from the previous weekend!

As I entered the Gardens proper, I couldn't help buy notice cranes poking above the treetops. I soon realised that they belonged to the new Rectangular Stadium, nearing completion across the Yarra. I'd been wanting to get a photo of the Stadium for some time, but hadn't had an opportunity, so I changed direction and headed towards the Temple of Winds to see if I could get a view of the Stadium.

It was still only possible to see the top of the Stadium from the Temple, so I walked down the steps from the Temple, crossed the Tan, and got a shot or two from across the river. I walked back past the lake, and stopped to sit in the sun for a while. Not for long... just long enough for my pallid complexion to start to burn in the deceptively strong Autumn sun :-S

I retraced my steps to the Shrine, and decided that I needed to climb to the top to grab some photos. It had really been many years since I had been up there, and it was perfect day for taking in the scenery. I got some great shots, in perfect conditions. And still had time to get home in time for a lunch date.

If only more days could be as pleasant as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment