Sunday, March 21, 2010

precious experience

I did NOT want to see Precious.

Yeah, I saw and read the great reviews, and all the praise for the performances of the cast, and the Oscar nominations, but I also heard about how it was a depressing and miserable story, and I just did not want to experience that.

With the movie in its last days at the cinemas, I was convinced to go along to the George and see the only session showing today. Up until I bought the tickets (reluctantly), I was trying to think of a way out of it, but finally, I accepted the inevitable and sat down to see this urban horror story.

The session ended two hours later. I was SO glad that I hadn't found a way out of seeing it. It was one of the best films that I've seen in recent months. The story was as harrowing as I expected, but the movie was so well made, and the performances so fine, that I found myself completely carried into the world of Precious, her trials and suffering, and her incredible strength and dignity. Lead actor Gabourey Sidibe was perfect as Precious, and I hope to see her in other movies in the future.

This was a real 4-star effort, and will make me think twice about writing off a movie before I see it in future.

(OK, unless it's Pursuit of Happyness - yuk!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment