Friday, March 26, 2010

where the bloody hell...?

OK, I said I was inspired by last night's Comedy Festival performance by Peter Helliar, so after work today, I dropped by HalfTix and found a short (45-minute) performance by an artist that I'd never heard of, at the Town Hall, starting at 6pm, so I still had time to rush home afterwards and get the groceries that I hadn't managed to find time for last night!

The show was mysteriously titled Her Lady Bones, by British comedian Sadie Hasler. I didn't know what that title meant before the show, and I still don't know now.

Sadie's show consisted of a series of character sketches, featuring several of (I assume) her own creations, plus a wonderful Katherine Hepburn impression, that had the audience in stitches. For a newcomer, she was very good.

She also impressed me greatly by the fact that she proceeded with her show at all, despite the fact that there were only six of us in the audience!

I couldn't believe how poorly attended Peter Heliar's show was last night, but this was unbelievable. I was the first one in the room, and, based on experience in previous years, I took a seat at the very far end of the row so as to make it easier for everyone else to get in afterwards. It soon became apparent that there wasn't going to be an 'everyone else', and I moved to the middle of the row when I realised that I had it all to myself!

I would not have blamed Sadie for saving her energy and calling off the show, with so few spectators, and I thought that she was very brave to proceed, given that no matter how much she made us laugh, the sound of six people's laughter and applause in even a small theatre is not a lot of encouragement.

Anyway, she put on a good show, especially her Kate Hepburn, and I hope she gets better audiences for the rest of her season. I, for one, look forward to seeing her back at future Comedy Festivals.

No comments:

Post a Comment