Thursday, March 25, 2010

to Helliar and back

... As if there wasn't enough going on in Melbourne this week (the French Film Festival, the Flower & Garden Show, the return of real (AFL) footy tonight (Go 'Piesss!) and the Grand Prix (boo, hiss), the Melbourne International Comedy Festival commenced, a week ahead of its traditional starting date of April Fool's Day.

I wasn't really fussed about going out again tonight, but there is an imperative with the Comedy Festival - most shows run cheaper, 'preview' sessions in the first few days, so I always try to catch something early on.

So after work, I wandered down to the box office at the Regent, and booked a ticket to see Peter Helliar's show at the Forum. I like Helliar, but I've never bothered to see him 'live' before... probably because he's been on tv so much that I didn't consider him as much of a priority as many of the other comedians who aren't so ubiquitous on the tube.

I was glad I went. I enjoyed his performance, and got some good laughs from most of his material, but I was surprised at how small the audience was! I'd estimate the theatre was barely one-third full; very surprising for such a big name performer. Traffic delays held many people up (one couple arrived about 15 minutes before the show ended!), but even so, it was a very small audience. Good for me though... I was only six rows from the front, on an aisle; the seats in front of me in the three rows ahead were empty, as were the next 4 seats next to me, so I was able to make myself quite comfortable - a huge change from the generally cramped conditions at this Festival.

One other thing surprised me - the show was called 'Peter Helliar's Dreamboat Tour' - and he dressed in a Love Boat-style Captain's jacket - but there was no reference at all to boats or cruises or anything related to that theme. Maybe I missed something! Anyway, it was a good performance, and highly recommended.

And now I'm enthused enough to want to see another show tomorrow night...!

No comments:

Post a Comment