Wednesday, April 7, 2010

for the love of reason

After an over-busy week, I'm almost too tired to keep my eyes open, let alone type, but I just had to make note of the astonishing performance that I saw tonight at Trades Hall - Catherine Deveny's 'God is bullshit - that's the good news'!

Part stand-up comedy, part self-therapy, this secular sermon left me at times stunned and flabbergasted. Even though I've been an atheist myself for as long as I can remember, growing up with family and friends who are believers in different religions has taught me to keep my non-beliefs to myself and be careful of saying anything to offend their sensibilities.

To see someone stand up on stage and plainly state that christianity and the bible are bullshit, to quote some of the nonsense from the bible and expose it to the light of day (and logic), and to make no bones about stating that it is truly ridiculous, both excited and scared me. Excited because it was wonderful to see someone else speaking the plain truth about 'faith' out loud; scared because I fully expected at any time that someone would leap from the audience with a fist or a knife or a gun to defend the faith against the blasphemer (no one did, thankfully!)

Catherine's show was not just funny, but touching, and brave. Her stance will make her lots of enemies (I have one catholic colleague who professed to, and I quote, "hate her" for what she says about catholicism), but to me, she's a beacon of reason and common sense in a world that seems increasingly under siege by the religious righteous. This was one funny show that gives you a LOT to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment