Friday, April 2, 2010

putting the 'good' back in easter friday

Typically, I look forward to Good Friday as the one day of the year when everything shuts down; there's nothing to do and nowhere to go, so it's the perfect excuse to stay really late in bed, then get up and do nothing all day, guilt-free. But today was an eye-opener.

I don't know how long this has been going on for, but I noticed that cinemas were open today. How long have cinemas been allowed to open on Good Fridays? I have no idea. But suddenly, the perfect day to stay in bed all day became the ideal opportunity to take in a movie. Not only that, but the fact that Palace cinemas also do espresso meant that Good Friday no longer had to be one of only two miserable days of the year when it's not possible to get a latte! Joy!

The movie was excellent (but I already knew that - I saw another session of MicMacs; this time, in company). Another surprise was yet to come though!

Driving home via Carlisle St, I was astonished to see most cafes open for business as well! OMG. No longer was Good Friday some sort of pariah day when christians impose their god-fearing beliefs on the rest of us and force us to stay in our homes if we don't go to their churches, by shutting down all forms of entertainment. I stopped at Grindhouse for a latte, just to make sure it wasn't a dream (sort of like pinching yourself, but by drinking a coffee instead of inflicting pain).

Cinemas. Cafes. and chocolate. It's a pretty good Friday after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment