Monday, April 12, 2010

welcome break

Didn't know what to do with myself on Sunday.

After a late sleep, I dragged myself out the door and into the car around midday, with no real plans at all. I dropped by Prahran Market for a few veggies and a coffee at Jasper's, then drove back to up Chapel St, intending to buy lunch at Hooked. Unfortunately, the entrance to the car park in James St was totally blocked off for roadworks, so I kept going to Carlisle St and had chicken and chips at Feast instead. By that time, it was around 1:30, and I remembered that there was a 2pm session of a movie that I was sort of interested to see at the Brighton Bay, called Welcome. If I drove directly there, and if I could find a car park, and if the theatre wasn't to busy (as if! :-), I could just make it!

So I zapped off to Brighton, located a car park with not too much trouble, and climbed the stairs to the ticket office with around 5 minutes to spare. I didn't quite make it to the top of the stairs, though, as the queue from the ticket office extended all the way to the staircase! Wow! I had never seen so many people at the Bay! The combined age of all those Brighton Bay patrons must have numbered in the thousands!!

Anyway, it only took me about 10 minutes to get through the queue, but most of the crowd were indeed headed to the same movie as I, so the best seat I could get was in the third row from the front. It was close to a big screen, so definitely a neck-buster!

The movie itself - not bad. A lot of English language (for a French film) made it easier to follow than some. The story (a Frenchman who tries to assist an illegal Iraqi immigrant to make it to Britain) was a bit predictable, and the characters not completely convincing, but the interesting part was the way in which the French government treats its own citizens who try to assist the illegals. It was reminiscent of the French underground fighting the occupation! Amazing and scary. I'd give this film 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment