Monday, April 26, 2010

things that can go wrong with a holiday plan

I was a bit trepidatious about planning an overseas holiday by myself. It's been a looong time since I last could afford a trip o/s - back in the last century, before the internet, in the days when you would just walk into a Travel Agent's office, explain your dreams, and leave it to them to make it all real.

But all my traveller-friends assured me that the internet has changed all that, and that I *can* do it myself, and it *will* work ok. So I went for it. I wasn't totally convinced, but I went for it.

I had been planning for quite some time, so I aimed to make my bookings far enough in advance that I could get what I wanted, when I wanted it. My departure date is in late May, and I finalised my bookings in Feb. The centrepiece of the trip is a fortnight stay in a rented apartment in Paris.

I researched my arse off from October onwards, night-after-night staying up until after midnight, checking out all the online companies and agencies that let flats for holidays in Paris, and finally, in mid-February, I made a decision, choosing a cosy, top-floor apartment in St Germain. I contacted the owner, got an acceptance, and sent the money to the agency for the booking. With that done, I was then able to finalise all the other elements of my trip around those dates - hotels, train trips, etc etc. By early March, everything was arranged.

Until I opened my email on April 3, to discover a cancellation notice from my Paris host. Due to circumstances beyond her control, she would have to cancel my booking. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I went into a panic. There was nothing I could do about the cancellation, but now I had to find alternative accommodation, 6 weeks closer to arrival.

I re-checked the other four places that I had short-listed in February, only to find that each one of them was now let for the period that I needed. My heart sank. I felt like cancelling the whole thing and re-scheduling. Unfortunately, I couldn't cancel any of the other bookings that I had made and paid for because of this, so I had no choice but to go back to square one and start my search over again. The one advantage that I had this time was that there were far fewer places now available to look at!!!

It took me five more days, but I eventually found a beautiful place; bigger and brighter than my original booking, but not as well located. However, I was delighted to get it (but now just live in fear that it might get cancelled out from under me as well!)

At last, everything seemed to be set to go.

And then the volcano blew in Iceland.

Well, that seems to have settled down again now. I just have to hope that it won't fire up again, at least, not before July! Surely nothing else could go wrong now!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment