Friday, April 24, 2009

the far queue

I was standing at the stop waiting for my usual bus to work yesterday, when, a few minutes later, a young woman walked up.

"In my day", when you went somewhere and saw someone already waiting to go to the same place, you would just fall into line behind them, and politely wait your turn in a queue. These days, tho, different rules seem to apply.

She did something that I've observed in other situations as well recently... seeing that I was already standing at the front of the notional 'line', she walked 4 or 5 metres down the road, in the direction from which the bus was coming, and then, when the bus approached, she attempted to hail the driver to stop where she was standing! Hellooo? Rude, rude, rude! Whatever happened to waiting politely in a queue??

Some people seem to have so much competitive spirit that they can't bear to let anyone else be ahead of them.

Happily, most bus drivers don't fall for that stunt, and this one drove up to the stop, where I was waiting. Jeez, if she had waited there behind me, I might even have let her aboard first, but there was no way I was waiting for her after that inconsiderate stunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment