Sunday, April 19, 2009

mais, what if you don't parler Français?

I've become a big fan of modern French cinema over the past 18 months, getting by on English sub-titles and the meagre remnants of my schoolboy French.

I only managed to see one session at the recent French Film Festival (Summer Hours), so I decided to order a couple of the films that I missed, on dvd. I was especially looking forward to the movie that opened the Festival, Paris 36 (original French title: Faubourg 36).

So I was pretty excited when my parcel arrived from Amazon last week containing a copy of Faubourg 36... until I scoured the case and discovered that this wonderful French film only came with sub-titles... in French!

So I watched the film and tried to understand what was happening from the combination of the pictures and my basic understanding of written French. I understood the gist of the story ok, but I know I missed a good few of the fine details. Now I'll have to wait and hope that a version is released for English-speaking audiences so I can find out what *really* happened!

(Oh, anyway, the film looks fantastic; the story is pretty good as far as I could understand, the cast is great, and there's some good music as well - I'd give it **** on the David and Margaret scale!)

No comments:

Post a Comment