Wednesday, May 27, 2009

burn while reading

I don't read many books these days. Well, to be accurate, I don't read many books without illustrations these days... so I surprised even myself when I hunted down and bought a copy of Say When, the latest compilation of Catherine Deveny's opinion articles published in the Age.

I've become an avid fan of Catherine's writings in the newspaper... brash, opinionated (and all the other cliches like that), always sharp and witty, and best of all, reflecting my own opinion on a wide range of issues... well, around 96% of the time, which is close enough for comfort!

Her book has provided great entertainment (usually on the tram or bus trip home of an evening), even when I'm not familiar with her subject matter (like the various reality shows on commercial tv that I never watch, but she loves to hate), and especially when she gets into social issues, where she has some especially passionate views.... and often manages to inspire me to some profound thoughts of my own!

So while I'm reluctantly drawing towards the end of Say When, I'm also looking forward to finishing the book... so I can swap it with a colleague who has her previous volume. One day, I might even be inspired enough to visit the People's Republic of Moreland and experience the world of one of my favourite columnists first-hand.

Might make a good blog subject, at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment