Wednesday, May 20, 2009

worth the trek

As a long-time fan of the modern Star Trek era (ie. everything that took place from the first episode of Next Gen to the last episode of Voyager), I was looking forward to the latest Star Trek movie with a little trepidation.

I really wasn't interested in seeing Kirk & co; give me Jean-Luc Picard and his Enterprise crew, Ben Sisko and the DS9 cast on the deck of the Defiant, or 'Whatever happened to the Voyager when it got back from the Delta Quadrant?'... anything but the corny old-fashioned space-Western that launched the franchise.

Wow, was I in for a surprise when I caught Star Trek 11 on Saturday! Great cast, great story, great action, and a wonderful concept - using the well-worn and well-loved time travel device to really change history, so that everything useful could be kept in this old/new Trek mythos, and anything not useful could be easily ignored. I even loved seeing how the original Spock was incorporated in a meaningful role into the story! For the first time, I can really say that I'm a fan of the 'original' Trek... and roll on #12!

No comments:

Post a Comment