Thursday, May 28, 2009

things I hate that other people do

A colleague was complaining today over morning coffee today about how pissed off she was at the lack of manners shown by people these days. I found myself agreeing with everything she said.

She and I are of the same vintage, so it crossed my mind that maybe it's a generational thing... although I haven't especially noticed lack of manners being confined to one generation of people. Maybe those of us of the late baby boom / early Gen X era can recall a time when people were calmer and more polite in public than they are nowadays.

Where did we go so wrong? A simple trip to the get the groceries can become a source of unpleasantness these days, as people push, shove and blithely go about their business, ignorant of the presence of their fellow citizens. Sometimes, I feel as if I've become completely invisible as people push past, and even through me, on the footpath!

Having just returned from a trip to Chaddy to get my provisions for the week, I feel the need to make note of just a couple of the ignorant behaviours that I encountered in that short time! So without further ado, the first of maybe an ongoing series: Things I hate that other people do!
  1. Stand in the middle of an escalator so that no-one can easily get past. Closely related to: stand side-by-side on an escalator with your sister, boyfriend, mother, shopping colleague, whatever, so that no-one else can get by. What the f%ck is wrong with you people?? Not everyone in the world has all day to admire the scenery like you do! Stand aside; let people get past if they're in a hurry. The rule-of-thumb is: Stand to the left; walk to the right. It's not rocket science. If you're not in a hurry, get out of the way!

  2. Speed up the parking lane of a major road and cut in front of other traffic. So dangerous, so rude. Everyone is trying to get somewhere and everyone is stuck in the same traffic. What gives you idiot hoons the right to risk everyone's life so that you can move 7 or 8 car lengths ahead in the queue?? Learn some patience and wait your damn turn!

  3. Use blogs as a complaints column. Well, I hate that when other people do it, not when I do it. But I promise not to do it too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment