Thursday, May 21, 2009

the truth about iPods and trams

I've always loved my music. I bought a cheap ($180!) MP3 player from the Camberwell computer market long before I could afford my first iPod. I soon learnt, though, that even though I loved my music, I didn't love not being able to hear what was going on around me when I was out and about. So I always carried my iPod, but I stopped listening so much.

I was thinking about that when I jumped on the tram to come home from work, one night last week. I got a seat, and the first thing that I did was to get out the iPod, put on the earphones, and switch on the music. That's what I always do. Not so much on the bus. Because the bus is usually not crowded. But the tram is always busy, whether it's the 6:27 to work in the morning, a peak hour service getting home, or an evening trip after a night out.

And I realised then why I like to have my iPod on the tram.

Yeah, I love my music... but I also love that the music drowns out the noise of the young women who love to talk loudly and at length about anything and everything on their mobiles while travelling on the tram. The music gives you something to focus on when you're squeezed into a packed tram with your views blocked by other people wherever you look. The music hides the sound of the drunks/ druggies/ general trailer trash who think it's ok to curse and swear at the top of their voices at and to their family, their friends, their kids, strangers or whoever else offends them while they're on the tram. The music cushions me from many of the unpleasantries of sharing over-crowded public transport.

And that's why my iPod is so important to me now... I don't think I could catch a tram without it!

No comments:

Post a Comment