Saturday, May 30, 2009

credit where due...

Despite the shambles of my last attempt to use public transport to go see a movie, I decided to try again today. This time, I allowed *plenty* of time for delays; to ensure getting to the 1:30 session at the Dendy Brighton on time, I left home at midday... so even if the bus ran late and I missed the connecting train, and the next train was late, I should still get to the movie on time! Of course, having planned for disaster so well, the opposite happened!

The bus (which I had expected to wait between 5 and 20 minutes for) arrived at the stop just as I did... no waiting whatsoever. We had a fast trip down to Glenhuntly Road, allowing time for a pleasant stroll to Elsternwick station, stopping at a cafe window to pick up a latte on the way. I had planned to catch the 12:47 train, but we were so early, that we arrived comfortably in time for the 12:27... which was running right on time!!

As a result, we arrived at Middle Brighton station just after 12:30... only half an hour after leaving home, and with almost an hour to kill until the film started.

When it works properly, Melbourne's public transport can be a pleasure to use. There. I said it.

It's just a shame that it's so often so unreliable that you need to allow an extra hour to make sure of arriving on time, for even such a short trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment