Saturday, May 30, 2009

a fine bromance

Last time I saw a film at the Dendy Brighton, I was pretty unimpressed by the theatre itself... it was noisy, the foyer was a bit grotty and needed a clean and tidy, the cinema not comfortable; not in the same class as the other Palace cinemas that I like to go to. So it was with some hesitation that I decided to go back again today, and only because the film I wanted to see, I Love You, Man, was in pre-release preview there, and nowhere else handy.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the place in much better nick today... clean and tidy, well-staffed, and the film was shown in a very large and comfy cinema... in fact, it was a huge cinema, with only around 8 people in attendance! (Just how I like it!)

The film itself lived up to my expectations... not side-splitting, but just good fun, with some fine comedy moments and some crude humour that makes you laugh even though you know it's not in good taste! I've become a big fan of Paul Rudd over the past few years, and have enjoyed most of his comedies... this one was no exception.

My only disappointment was the lack of screen time for some of the supporting cast. Jane Curtin (3rd Rock from the Sun) plays Rudd's character's mum -I love her, but they could have given her much more of a role. Ditto his screen dad, played by JK Simmons, whose relationship with his other son could have been the basis for a whole other comedy film!

Jason Segal was great in his role, though, and even Lou Ferrigno (the original Hulk!) was funny. This is one I'll catch again on dvd some time.

***1/2 on the David-Margaret scale from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment