Thursday, June 4, 2009

the 7 wonders of Melbourne

If Melbourne city had 7 Wonders, I'd vote for the Regent Theatre to be near the top of the list.

Having risen from the ashes (literally) twice since its opening in 1929, the Regent's latest restoration, completed in 1996, has bequeathed the city with a wonderful live theatre venue... my favourite in the city... and a beautifully-preserved feature on the Collins St streetscape. Attending a show there is a treat in itself, and offers an opportunity to admire the fantastic interior of the building before and after the performance. If only they'd let me take photos inside!

I wish I could have seen it as a movie theatre, especially in its 1930's and 40's heyday, though I doubt it could have been any more impressive than it is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment