Monday, June 15, 2009

the phantom trams

I came home from work via Collingwood (the suburb, not the team) on Friday night. I was waiting for the 109 tram in Victoria Parade to get me to a connecting 78. The electric sign said the 109 was about 5 minutes away, yet I could see a tram approaching only a minute or so away. It arrived at the stop, and it was a number 24 to Balwyn. I've never heard of a number 24 before, but I assumed that it must take me at least to Church St, so I got aboard, and it took me to where I needed to go.

When I got home, I checked the Yarra Trams site, and found that the 24 does indeed exist, but that it only runs during the weekday peak. Since I seldom ever travel that way, it's little wonder that I'd never heard of it before.

Unlike the tram that followed me on the number 5 the next afternoon... a number 66 to Glenhuntly! I know the 64 runs to East Brighton and the 67 goes to Carnegie, but a 66? That one's not even on the Yarra Trams site... like the mysterious number 7 that sometimes runs down Swanston St to High St during the evening peak.

One day, I have to find a list of these 'unofficial' trams, and see what other phantom services might still exist.

addenda... oops! Should have known that Wikipedia would have the answers! This site hasn't been updated for a while, but has some interesting extra history.

No comments:

Post a Comment