Sunday, June 21, 2009

little things that count

When I bought my wonderful Canon IXUS from Hong Kong a couple of years ago, it came bundled with a package of freebies from the seller, including a camera bag. I expected a little leather or neoprene thing that I could use to carry my new camera safely around in, but was disappointed to open the package and find what was really just a little sleeve made of netting, with a drawstring.

So I later went out and bought myself a great little padded Crumpler camera bag, complete with carry pockets and strap. But then I discovered that the problem with a 'real' camera bag is that you have to carry it with you. Whereas the little netting sleeve fitted snugly over the camera, protected it from scratches, AND fitted neatly inside my satchel or jacket pocket, so I could easily carry my IXUS with me everywhere. So me and my camera became inseparable, thanks to that sleeve.

I went for a stroll down Fitzroy St and the Esplanade on Saturday, while waiting for a movie to start at the George, and I started taking a few snaps of St Kilda along the way. I tucked the little netting bag into my pocket so I could concentrate on taking my shots. I walked down the Esplanade, past the wonderful art deco Mandalay buildings, past the Palais and Luna Park, to the corner of Acland St, and having taken a last snap, I reached into my pocket to get the camera sleeve... only to find that it wasn't there!

Somewhere along the Esplanade, it had fallen out of my pocket. I hurriedly retraced my steps, in the hope of finding it, but it was nowhere to be found. I've searched in catalogues and online, but I haven't been able to find another like it anywhere. It's amazing how valuable to me that thing had been, and I never realised, of course, until I lost it!

No comments:

Post a Comment