Wednesday, June 3, 2009

yeah, I'm a bit wicked myself!

Day 2 after my traumatic test for 'the big S', and no word back from the medical authorities. I was still unwell with a cough and a fever, but after a day of 'just-in-case' quarantine at home, now I was bored as well.

I've never been a good patient. I've been so ill that I couldn't get out of bed, but anything less than that, and I get antsy and need to do something with my time.

So when I hadn't heard from the doctor by the middle of the day, I decided that, as a 99% unlikely case, it would be safe enough to take myself on a tram ride to the city and have lunch with a friend.

On the tram trip into the city, my mind wandered to my desire to find time to see Wicked! before the season closed. And then it came to me! The tram would get me to Collins St at around 12:30... half an hour before the matinee... I only need one ticket... surely they'd have a few single seats still available? It was worth a try!

I made a quick call, hastily transferred 'lunch' to 'coffee after work', and hurried up the steps of the Regent Theatre to the ticket office. "Do you have a single ticket available in the 'B' reserve for this arvo's performance?" I wasn't confident. The ticket guy checked his computer, paused for dramatic effect, and said "Yes"! I could hardly believe it! I was on my way to see the Wizard at last!

But the best news was yet to come. My 'B' reserve seat was in row 'W', near the back of the theatre. When I got inside, the usher told me that for today's show, row 'W' would be seated in row 'L'!!! Far from sold out, this session was only half full, so management kindly placed we few 'B' reserve paupies as far forward as the back of the last paid 'A' reserve seats... fully halfway closer to the stage, and much better than either of the seats that I'd had to see Priscilla!

And the show itself? A fantastic spectacle... terrific staging, wonderful music and singing performances, a witty and entertaining story (although I had trouble understanding some of the lyrics at times); everything I hoped for. I'd love to see it again.

Ok, so I was a bit wicked to go out when there was, like, a 1% chance that I had an infectious disease, but I had almost a whole row to myself, so I'm 99.9% certain that I didn't pass whatever is making me ill onto anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment