Wednesday, June 3, 2009

things you put off 'til it's almost too late

When Wicked! premiered at the wonderful Regent Theatre last June, I knew I wanted to go. I'd seen Priscilla, Queen of the Desert there twice in the previous 8 months, and loved every minute of both performances, so I was keen to see its successor.

But there was always something! No time, no money, other things to do, shows sold out months in advance... but after all, it will be on for ages yet. Anyway, I can never bring myself to book anything months in advance. How can I book a ticket in November to see a show in March, when I have no idea what I'll be doing by March? I might pay for the ticket in November, and then find that I'm unable to go for any number of reasons, four months later! So I put it off. Again. And again. And again.

Then last month, they announced that Wicked! has to end in early August, to make way for a new production. I made a mental note to plan something before it finished, and promptly put it back on the mental back burner.

Last weekend, while checking my diary, I realised that I'd have almost no chance to go and see it during July... meaning I virtually had only this month to get there... but how, when all the ads suggest that it's sold out for months at a time, would I get to go on such short notice?

I was focussed on the problem at last... but still no closer to an answer! Maybe I'd left it too late, and I'd just have to miss it, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment